Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Martina McBride's Bus Stop Chili

Usually I post recipes here that I have "borrowed" or adapted from quite foodie-reputable sources: Gourmet, Food & Wine, Martha Stewart. Never before have I ripped a recipe out of People. (OK, I have a subscription...you got a problem with that?!?)


This is a great, simple recipe that reminds me of those "dump cake" recipes. Here you open a bunch of cans, dump them in the pot, and you end up with a wonderfully hearty...and pretty healthy...soup. I'm thinking it's on the Christmas Eve menu this year.


Martina's Bus Stop White Chili


Adapted from a recipe from People magazine.

(I've made a few adjustments to kick up the spice and make it a little thicker.)

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2-14 1/2 ounce cans chicken broth
1 tablespoon garlic pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
4-15 ounce cans great northern beans
2-4 1/2 ounce cans chopped green chiles
1 can cream of chicken soup
Half of a 7 ounce can of pickled jalapeno peppers

For garnish: minced cilantro, sour cream, tortilla chips and grated cheese


Put chicken in a glass baking dish, pour in both cans of chicken broth, and cover with aluminum foil. Bake in a 350 degree oven for one hour. Remove chicken and reserve broth.


Cut chicken into small pieces and season with garlic pepper. Heat olive oil in stock pot and saute chicken for 2-3 minutes.


Puree jalapeno peppers, with juice, and set aside. (If you want your chili super thick, at this point, also drain and rinse one or more of the cans of white beans.)

Add reserved broth, beans, chiles, cream of chicken soup, and pureed jalapenos to stock pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.


Ladle into bowls and garnish as desired.

Healthy Hint: Use low-fat chicken broth and a healthy version of the cream of chicken soup (I used Campbell's Healthy Choice)...and pass on the garnishes...for a guilt-free treat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a delicious dish. I found the recipe last year and brought it to a potluck we were having here at work and getting ready for another potluck and my co-workers are requesting this dish. I highly recommend it!