Monday, December 10, 2007

Make the Morning Easier

Mornings are always a rush for me. Although I try to take time for the paper and a cup of hot tea, packing my gym bag and work clothes, feeding our pets, and collecting my work stuff means I don't always have much time to fix breakfast. I know how important it is though. As I continue to try and lose a few pounds, it's important that I jump start my metabolism with that first meal of the day. Here are some tips I've used to make sure I get it all done.

  • As I get ready for bed and straighten the kitchen, I go ahead and measure the ingredients (minus the ice) for my smoothie directly into the blender container. Stored on the top shelf of the refrigerator, it takes less than a minute to blend up the next morning. Of course I love simple fruit smoothies (fruit, ice and protein powder), but also fix "heartier" ones sometimes. A recent favorite: 1 cup skim milk, 2 tablespoons ground flax seed, 1 tablespoon peanut butter, 1/2 cup frozen blueberries and 1 scoop whey protein powder.

  • Did you know you can "poach" eggs in the microwave? You can use a gadget like this, but I just crack an egg into a ramekin, blast it on high for 43 seconds (You'll have to experiment to see the perfect timing with your microwave.) and I have firm whites and just runny enough yolks.

  • And you can't go wrong with toast. Put a slice or two of multi-grain bread in the oven or toaster while you do something else. In no time, you'll have the complex carbs to get you going. How about a little low-fat peanut butter on top?

Do you have any quick breakfast tips you could share? If so, please post in Comments below.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fast and healthy breaky
1 cup prepared oatmeal (I use quick oats, so it's ready in 2 mins)
Add 1 tbsp ground flax
3/4 cup blueberries or seasonal berries
1 tsp cinnamon
This is low on the glycemic index and keeps you satisfied all morning!