Saturday, June 16, 2007

Wines You Can Trust: Sauvignon Blanc

You already know that Food and Wine magazine is one of my greatest sources of information and inspiration. The fine folks over at their website have struck again...this time with a list of 50 Wines You Can Always Trust. I was thrilled to see quite a few of my house wines and favorites on the list, so I decided to revisit some of them and try some new ones in the process. Over the next month or so, I'll post my tasting notes.

Let's start with a varietal that used to be not one of my favorites, but that I have grown to respect and enjoy. It's a quaff perfectly suited for a warm summer evening. Sauvignon Blanc.

I have simple associations with most wine varietals, and the thing that always comes to my mind first when I think of Sauvignon Blanc is grapefruit. Most wines made with this grape have a bracing acidity that walks the balance between sweet and what we would consider more dry...or even tart. I am especially a fan of a Sauvignon Blanc that also brings out the herby, grassy qualities that can also be present in the grape.

Sauvignon Blan's acidity and herbal qualities make it my go-to wine when I am pairing with a dish that includes goat cheese or tomatoes. Heck, why not hit it out of the park with tomatoes topped with goat cheese and a sprinkling of freshly chopped basil or thyme? Now, THERE's a pairing.

Additionally, its leanings towards sweetness and its brace of mouthwatering acidity also makes Sauvignon Blanc a good way to tame down the heat of Thai or other spicy Asian cuisine. And, of course, it's a good wine to serve with simply prepared white-fleshed fish. (Again... especially if there are tomatoes, herbs or a little bit of hot spice involved.)

Here are my notes on two of the California Sauvignon Blancs that Food and Wine has on their list:

Geyser Peak California Sauvignon Blanc
This wine has so much zing to it, it seems almost fizzy. Lightly acidic, with grapefruit and nice herbal flavor, it is a perfect taste profile of what I expect Sauvignon Blanc to be...fresh, crisp and mouthwatering. And at around $12 a bottle, it is, like the rest of the list, a real bargain.

Robert Mondavi Winery Napa Valley Fume Blanc
At almost $20 a bottle, this is at the upper price range of the list, but is well worth the extra few bucks. While the Geyser Peak was zingy, this wine has a firmer backbone (maybe due to the little bit of Semillon that is blended into the wine) and more subtlety. My notes say "zesty," and, yes, in my tasting lexicon, that means a little more refined and structured than "zingy." It has a silky texture, and, while the grapefruit is still there, there's also a nice rush of pineapple on your tongue as you drink it. It's rounder than the Geyser Peak and a wine I think you would enjoy. Definitely a dinner party wine as well.

You have any trusted favorites to add to the list? Stay tuned for more California wines and a look at several other of the world's wine-producing regions in the weeks to come.

No comments: