Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Food & Wine Magazine: A Monthly Inspiration

I subscribe to a lot of magazines. A lot. A news magazine or two. A couple of fitness/health publications. And a plethora of food/wine/cocktail magazines. Including Cooking Light, Gourmet, Southern Living, Saveur and the requisite Martha Stewart magazines. They are constant sources of recipes and inspirations for this blog and my everyday beautiful life.


Hands down, my favorite foodie magazine is Food & Wine. Simply put, it appeals to my sensibilities. Delicious, but "doable" recipes. News about restaurants and new products. And great info and advice on wine (including Lettie Teague's great monthly column).


I just cracked open my June issue. Here's a sampling of the pages I've turned down. Once I've tried some of them, I'm sure you'll read about them here in the months to come.
  • It's "The Grilling Issue," so a highlight is "10 Easy Ways to Master the Grill." Great tips and information as well as recipes that intrigue...like Brazilian Beer-Marinated Chicken and Pork and Bacon Kebabs.
  • It's accompanied by a variety of sauce, pickle and salad recipes. Your BBQ feast will never be the same.
  • Where else will you find recipes for homemade ketchup, mustard and mayo? I must confess; I'm intrigued and will probably try them.
  • From an article on pairing food with beer and ale, there's the article for Sichuan Peppercorn Shrimp. A perfect way to set your mouth on fire this summer.
  • In preparation for its "Best of the Best" cookbook, the magazine lists its 25 Best Cookbooks of the Year. My Amazon Wish List just got longer.
  • And, of course, wine's not neglected. I've ripped out every page of the "25 Best Wines for Summer" section. Most are new and upcoming brands. I look forward to checking them out.
  • Plus wine writer Lettie Teague doesn't disappoint with her column on "America's Great Value Winery": Chateau Ste. Michelle. I've had several of their wines before, but Ms. Teague point us toward some others to try.
  • Bonuses include tips on outdoor entertaining and a burb on eco-friendly cleaners.

Are you intrigued? Then subscribe. You can get a year's worth of issues and a gift subscription for less than $20. Then you can look forward to your own inspiration every month.

In the meantime, continue to tune in here. I'm guessing you'll see posts inspired by...or taken directly from...the pages of Food & Wine quite often.

No comments: