Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Cocktail of the Week: Mai Tai

Finding a cocktail to post this week was tough. First, inspired by a delicious blackberry cobbler, I tried to come up with my own version of the Blackberry Bramble--this one with gin, muddled blackberries, rosemary simple syrup and a touch of lemon. Didn't work out.

So then I turned to Martha. Fixed her cherry mojito. (Misnamed by the way since it doesn't include a drop of rum or a hint of mint.) A blend of citrus vodka, fresh cherries, simple syrup and sparkling water. Again, yuck.

So, drawing on memories from a recent trip to the restored time capsule that is Trader Vic's here in Dallas, I decided to make a Mai Tai. Now, I didn't have the orgeat syrup (sweetened almond syrup with a touch of orange flower water) that the traditional recipe calls for, but I made do with a splash of Amaretto. My attempt at the original was quite passable. Try one for yourself.

Modern Mai Tai
Adapted from the classic Trader Vic's recipe.

1 1/2 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
2 ounces dark rum (I like Bacardi Anejo.)
1 ounce light rum
1 1/2 ounces pineapple juice
1 tablespoon simple syrup
1 tablespoon orange liqueur (I used Cointreau.)
1 tablespoon Amaretto

Mix all ingredients in an ice-filled shaker and strain into a crushed-ice-filled rocks glass. Stick in the little umbrella and enjoy!

No comments: