Thursday, May 17, 2007

Remember...Life Should Be Beautiful, but SIMPLE too!

I don't make it a habit to blog about so-called "convenience" products. They're often full of chemical gunk and don't taste nearly as good as something you could whip up at home with fresh ingredients. Here's an exception. Pulled out a bag of Contessa's Seafood Veracruz from the freezer tonight. (No doubt it was purchased when I had a coupon...) I had low expectations, but it was delicious. A nice blend of shrimp and whitefish with black beans, rice and corn in a tangy southwestern tomato sauce. All it took was a skillet and ten minutes of cooking.

Now, it DID turn out a little "soupier" than I thought it should, so I made some extra rice to serve as a base for what, in my terms, became a sauce. With sliced avocado and a few tortilla chips on the side, it made for a nicely filling meal. (A dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of chopped cilantro would have been nice on top.) And it was pretty healthy also--VERY low in fat and loaded with "good" carbs, with a ingredient list that I could actually read and understand. A little too much sodium, but that's not necessarily a surprise.

So, on a night you don't have time to make your own Southwestern shrimp saute, try this. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

No comments: