Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Retro Cocktail of the Week: Flame of Love

I'll blog in a couple of days about another great Academy Awards party idea, and this is a cocktail that would be perfect to serve. But it has such an evocative name, I thought I'd post it today in the hopes you'd be inspired to serve it to your sweetheart tonight.

Last year, I attended a great event here in Dallas called Savor Dallas, a weekend of wine, cocktails and great food. (The 2007 version is coming in less than a month. Sign up now!) While there, I took a workshop with noted mixologist Dale DeGroff. I was getting ready to host last year's Oscars party and said I wanted a quintessential Hollywood cocktail. Here's what he suggested. Legend says it was created at Chasen's in Beverly Hills at the request of Dean Martin.

Flame of Love
From Dale DeGroff's great book, The Art of the Cocktail

1/2 ounce fino sherry
Several peels of orange
2 1/2 ounces vodka

Coat the inside of a chilled martini glass with fino sherry and pour out the excess. Flame several orange peels into the glass. Shake the vodka in an ice-filled cocktail shaker and strain into the martini glass. Garnish with an orange peel.

Cheers. And Happy Valentine's Day.

No comments: