Sunday, February 04, 2007

If At First You Don't Succeed....Throw It Away!

We have a joke in our house--that even a few friends have picked up on. I fix dinner and the question that emerges is: "Is it bloggable?" A lot of the time, it is. I've gotten really good at reading a recipe and knowing whether or not it will work. So, most of the time, my experiments are successes. But not always.

The things I post on this blog are tested. Things that I've grown up with. Recipes people have shared. Experiences that I know work. But every now and then, I try something new, and it just doesn't work out.

Last week, I tried a recipe for jalapeno poppers. Those cheese-filled peppers that are fried until crispy. They're spicy and creamy, and I thought they'd be great to talk about for Super Bowl parties. Plus...this version was baked. So they would be healthier than something you'd pick up in the frozen food section and fry up. They were a disaster.

The recipe called for a dip in floury egg wash and then into breadcrumbs. Then back in the egg and back in the breadcrumbs. Sound messy? It was. More than you can imagine. Plus it created a splotchy coating. Not the crispy shell I was used to.

We ate them anyway. And they tasted ok. But definitely NOT "bloggable."

What's the lesson? That not everything works out. And that's all right. My philosophy in pursuing a beautiful life is that you have to try new things. It takes experimentation. Recipes you might not be used to. Wines you've never had. An obscure cocktail you've discovered. Or a unique way to create an environment that is both relaxing and unique.

So keep on keeping on. You'll screw up and that's fine. You've heard me say before that we can't all be Martha Stewart. The beautiful life you end up creating, mistakes and all, is still worth it.

No comments: