Thursday, November 30, 2006

Textiles

As I drag out all of our holiday decorations, there are surprises in every box. Things I'd forgotten about. Gifts that people gave me over the course of the last year. (They know my collecting bent!) It's like Christmas a month early!

One group of decorations I especially love getting out are the holiday runners and tablecloths that I've found over the years. Rich red and green poinsettias on a silky background. A more rustic woven one with green and blue stars. And the elegant one with metallic thread snowflakes on a rich blue background.

As I unfurled them all, I was reminded of what textiles and fabrics can do to make your surroundings more beautiful and how much I rely on them to add interest and contrasting textures to our home. For example, a dining room table can sometimes look bare and almost cold with its wooden or glass surface. But it becomes an integrated part of the room when you put a runner on it that ties in with the other colors of the room--whether they be from art on the walls or the plates in your china cabinet.

And I actually prefer runners to tablecloths. They provide a nice accent of color and texture without completely obscuring the wood surface of our dinig room table. And they're the right size for a buffet or side table too. Sometimes I'll even put one on the kitchen counter to dress things up for a party.

In his travels abroad, my brother always keeps an eye out for hand-woven cloths and runners he thinks I would like. They're always uniquely beautiful, and the fact that a story comes with them makes them mean even more to me.

So, as you're working on your own beautiful space, don't forget to add the texture and beauty of textiles. Be on the look out for handmade work. Pieces with interesting weave patterns or surfaces. Things that can add an accent of color to a corner that needs it. Whether it's a runner for a sideboard, a cloth for your holiday table, or a throw draped on the corner of a couch, you'll love the added interest it brings to your home.

1 comment:

fmfarmgirl said...

Okay - I promise I am not becoming a deranged fan already but had to comment on this one as well. After carrying glassware back from trips to Europe I finally got smart and decided to bring back textiles instead. A lot easier on the arms and less nerve racking to put into luggage. I've brought back fabric and table linens from Provence, lace and table runner from Italy, kilim rug pillow covers and incredible shawls from Turkey. But the best finds ever were in the 'fabric' streets in a district in Paris. I have bought a lot of kitchen linens - towels and napkins and fabric. The stores are incredible - four stories jammed with each floor for a specific item. I've dragged my dear friend John and my brother and they love it as well. The neighborhood is definitely NOT in a tourist area but is well worth the search. Every time I get out a towel to use I think of where I bought it.