Monday, November 13, 2006

It's All About the Leftovers

Last night, I just didn't feel like cooking. (Yes, it happens.) However, before I reached for the pizza delivery number, I checked the fridge to see what was there. Eureka! Leftovers.

So, I pulled out the little bit of pot roast left over from several nights ago. Also found a Tupperware container of black-eyed peas I had made with bacon and onion. (I'll give you that recipe later-just in time for New Year's.) Roast went in the Crock Pot and peas into a pan on the stove to reheat slowly. Got some frozen spinach ready to pop in the microwave so we'd have something green.

But, what wine to drink? I decided that it was a night to splurge. Yes, the food was "just
leftovers," but it was two of our absolute favorite comfort foods. And I knew that both were wine-friendly. So, I went to the wine refrigerator and pulled out a beauty.

Patz & Hall Pinot Noir Hyde 2003. This was a bottle I tasted and then bought at one of the many wine tastings that Sigel's has here in Dallas. It had garnered a 93 rating from The Wine Spectator magazine. It was well worth the $45 I plopped down for it. (Somehow, I only buy the expensive wines when I've had a taste or two. Wonder how that happens?) It was perfect with the roast and peas. Brambly and earthy, it had clove spice and plum fruit. Silky texture and long finish. It even had a pleasant bacony note (I'm not kidding...you can taste that often in quality Pinot Noirs.) that paired perfectly with the peas. And the pot roast's wine-friendly flavors had only intensified in their couple of days in the refrigerator.

Value substitutions for a similar meal would be your favorite spicy Syrah (Rosemount maybe?) or smooth Merlot. Or Pinot Noir--I like Sebastiani and La Crema. (Herre's a great opportunity to try one of your newly-discovered house wines.)

But splurge if you want to. Every night-gourmet or leftovers or grilled cheese-is worthy of good-quality wine. Even the best in your "cellar." Salud!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My husband and I did almost this exact thing a few nights ago. I whipped up a great tomato-based pasta sauce with some leftover veggies served over a penne pasta. As I was hovering in the pantry looking for something else to serve, I looked down at our hidden treasure chest of wines we had brought back from Napa on our honeymoon almost five years ago. Tony (my hubby) and I looked at each other and racked our brains to try and remember what we were saving them for. We pulled out a 2000 Coppola Director's Reserve Cab we got from the winery(that was a really fun visit!). I couldnt tell you how it complemented the food, but can tell you it brought back such fun memories - we giggled all through dinner!