Thursday, November 23, 2006

Giving Thanks

On this day, as we all gather with family and friends, I am thankful for many of the things that so many of you are probably thankful for. Family. Friends. Health. But I take a little time on this truly American holiday to be appreciative for a lot of little things too. The individual things that make life beautiful. Here are a few that I've already added to this year's list.

The noises and smells coming from the kitchen as my mother-in-law starts preparing the Thanksgiving feast while the rest of us sleep in.

The look on my six month old niece's face as we sit and play on the couch. And my four-year-old nephew's as we watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade. (I've been watching for over thirty years now!

The crunch of leaves underfoot as some of us take a post-lunch walk to burn a calorie or two.

Not just the deliciousness of turkey and all the trimmings the first time around, but also the spoonful of dressing stolen from the refrigerator late in the afternoon. It's deja vu for the tastebuds.

A look at the stars on a crisply cool cloudless evening. And a talk with my teenage nephew about what's out there. Away from the city lights, it can remind us how tiny we are in the scheme of things.

If you can, take time to think about the things that make your life beautiful. And give thanks for them. And keep doing it--every day. It's those little things that add up.

No comments: