Thursday, June 09, 2011

Pickled Radishes

I know I am in imminent danger of turning this blog into the "All Pickles, All the Time" blog. But I'm fascinated. Such an interesting way to pump extra flavor into a bounty of summer vegetables that can then be used as condiments on all sorts of things...sandwiches, tacos, salads, or just eaten on their own.

So if you'll indulge me, here's another one that is living in my fridge....

Pickled Radishes
Makes enough to fill a quart jar.

1 cup very hot water

1/4 cup sugar

1 tablespoon kosher salt

1 cup distilled white vinegar

8 small radishes, thinly sliced

2 garlic cloves, thinly slic
ed

In a quart-size glass jar with a tight-fitting lid or in a large resealable plastic container, combine the water, sugar and salt; cover and shake until dissolved. Add the vinegar along with the radishes and garlic. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Drain the pickled radishes before serving.

Note: recipes like this always say that the pickles remain good for a week or so. I always keep them much longer...and often replenish with more veggies as the spirit moves me.

No comments: