Thursday, March 18, 2010

Cooking with Books: Braised Chicken with Shallots

I've often claimed Food & Wine magazine as my favorite cooking source. But, I have to admit, Everyday Food is giving it a run for its money. Each and every month, by the time I've ripped the recipes out that interest me, it's little more than cover and spine.

So I was thrilled to learn that Martha and her minions (and, believe me, I say that with respect and envy) had published Everyday Food: Fresh Flavors Fast. Mind you, I know that most (if not all) of the recipes are ones that I've already ripped out and filed away in my folders...it's still fantastic to have them all in the same place.

This particular recipe is an example of the healthy(ish), economical and fairly simple dishes that you'll be able to prepare. And the recipes are truly intended for families. I halved this one and still had plenty for dinner and a couple of leftover lunches.

Braised Chicken with Shallots
Serves 4. (VERY generously!)

8 bone-in, skinless chicken thighs (about 2 1/2 pounds total)
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound small shallots (about 12), peeled and halved
5 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
1/2 cup dry white wine
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
Fresh tarragon leaves, for garnish (optional)

Season chicken with salt and pepper; coat with flour, shaking off excess.

In a Dutch oven or 5-quart pot with a tight-fitting lid, heat oil over medium-high. Cook chicken until browned, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove; set aside.

Add shallots and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened and golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add wine; cook until evaporated, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in mustard and 1 1/2 cups water; bring to a boil.

Return chicken, bone side down, to pot. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until chicken is tender and cooked through, 30 to 35 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate; loosely tent with aluminum foil to keep warm. Add tomatoes to pot; season with salt and pepper. Cook on high until sauce has thickened, 6 to 8 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, and return chicken to pot; cook until heated through. Serve, garnished with tarragon, if desired.

Food/Wine Pairing: This is one of those crossover dishes where you should go with red wine with chicken. A fruity Beaujolais would be great. I had a light Pinot Noir and was thrilled with it.

No comments: