Sunday, September 13, 2009

Cucumber Salad with Dilled Sour Cream

I tend to go crazy at the farmers market. Twenty bucks can go a long way, so while we enjoy the bounty, I sometimes look up and find a few stray squash or cucumbers hanging around. the squash is a story for another day...today's post deals withe the two lonely cukes that I refused to send to the indignity of compost. I flipped through my folders and found this recipe. Serendipitously (love that word!), it was the day before our Labor Day Burger Bash. In a moment of inspiration, I decided that it would be a great topping for one of my freshly grilled sliders.

I was sooooo right. And it would be great tucked into a pita stuffed with grilled shrimp or spread onto a hot dog. Try it and see what you think...

Cucumber Salad with Dilled Sour Cream
Makes 4 servings.
Adapted from Everyday with Rachael Ray.

2 cucumbers (about 1 pound)—peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded and sliced on an angle 1/4 inch thick
Salt and pepper
2/3 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh dill
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon sugar
1 small red onion, thinly sliced


In a colander set over a bowl, toss the cucumbers with 2 teaspoons salt. Let drain for at least 1 hour and up to 3 hours.

In a large bowl, whisk together the sour cream, apple cider vinegar, dill, red pepper flakes, and sugar. Add the drained cucumbers and the onion and toss. Season with pepper.

No comments: