Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Build a Better Sandwich.

There's a time and a place for a good peanut butter and jelly sandwich. There is no time nor place in the universe for bologna and cheese.


There you have it....I'm a sandwich snob.


That's not to say I don't eat them. I do. But they have to be special. What do I mean? OK...pay attention.


The Foundation: Bread
Tuna fish and bacon and tomato sandwiches belong on white bread. Not much else does. For my kind of sandwich, it needs to be good multi-grain bread. Or a crusty roll. Focaccia perhaps. Or even a big spinach tortilla to make a wrap.


How about some spread?
A good brick house needs some mortar to hold it together. That's a bad architectural analogy but you get the idea. There's the standard mustard and/or mayo, but even that can be gussied up. A few herbs in the mayonnaise. Stone-ground mustard. No reason to stop there though. Why not pesto? Flavored cream cheese. This recipe proves that something as simple as mashed white beans work also.


Add the meat.
Yes, all sandwiches must include meat. (Or a rather meaty stand-in...substitute a grilled or broiled portabello mushroom if you must.) We're on a roll here though. Good bread and good spread can't be topped with olive loaf. Hit up your deli for good quality turkey. (I like the peppered or Cajun kind.) Some really rare roast beef. (Thinly sliced steak leftovers can work well.) Or grill your own chicken breast. You're well on your way to the best sandwich you've ever had.


Time for the rabbit food.
I have to have something green on my sandwiches. Skip the iceberg though. How about spinach or arugula? Good leaf lettuce is perfectly fine. Go granola with sprouts. Or a little Southern with cole slaw. But we're not done yet.


A few more veggies please....
Time for the crowning touch. Tomatoes. Onions. (Grill them if you can.) Roasted red peppers. Cucumber. Think big...


So what do you think? That's my process. Add a comment and tell me yours. I'm always up for something new. (just follow the rules...)

No comments: