Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Summer is Sherry Time...

I had tapas with a friend last night at Sangria's--a new tapas place here in Dallas. (For those of you in the area, it's worth a visit. Well-prepared traditional tapas in a great setting. Don't miss the wonderful scalloped potato concoction layered with Serrano ham and Manchego cheese. Decadent...)

Knowing it was a tapas evening, I had my heart (and palate) set on a bracing glass of Spanish sherry. I was unimpressed with the list though, so we had some of their quite tasty red sangria. My craving has not been fulfilled though, so I am eyeing a couple of bottles I have in my bar. Sherry will be my drink of choice soon.

I won't be drinking my favorite though. Hidalgo's La Gitana Manzanlla. It comes in a 375 ml bottle with a painting of a gypsy (gitana) on the label. Unfortunately, I can't find a wine store in the area that stocks it. I'm forced to resort to mail-order. And will be doing that soon. A well-chilled glass of that with almonds, Manchego and some Serrano ham is all I need to imagine that I'm on the Spanish shore. It is so tangily delicious that you can almost taste the salty seaside air in each sip.

I have a couple of good alternatives standing by though. Both were recently featured in Wine Spectator.

Emilio Lustau Manzanilla Jerez Papirusa Solera Reserva NV. At $14 dollars a bottle and 90 points from WS, it should be a good one. The tasting notes include aromas and flavors of olive, apple and ocean brine. If it delivers, I'll be happy. Maybe it will be an easier-to-get alternative to the La Gitana.

Bodegas Osborne Fino Jerez Pale Dry NV (87 WS, $10) I must admit I've not always been a fan of Osborne sherries; I like them tangier and drier than what they usually produce. I'm going to try this one though: notes say that it will "leave a tingling around the gums."

If you haven't had sherry in a while, try a glass soon. Well-chilled and with salty snacks, its the perfect summer sip.

No comments: