Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Cocktail of the Week: Campari Orange Spritzer

I've been eating as healthily as possible the last couple of weeks. Need to lose a pound or two. So I've cut back on my alcohol consumption--avoiding empty calories like the plague.

However, cocktail time is an institution here at our house. So I needed to find something low-alcohol and summery...to fool myself into thinking it was happy hour as usual.

Now the Italians love them some Campari. A red bitter liqueur, it's the basis for the classic Negroni. Or a Campari and soda. I've tried it and just never developed a taste for it. Things can change though...

I recently saw this recipe on Giada de Laurentis' Food Network show. I doctored it a bit...cutting back on the Campari, reducing the level of both the bitterness and the alcohol in the finished cocktail. It's quite refreshing!

Campari Orange Spritzer
Makes 6-8 drinks.

1 (12 ounce) can frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
3 ounces Campari
Sparkling mineral water or club soda

In a pitcher, stir the Campari and orange juice concentrate to blend thoroughly.

Pour 1-2 ounces of the mixture into an ice-filled rocks glass and top with 3-4 ounces of the fizzy water. Stir to combine and garnish with a twist of orange peel.

Hints: If you'd like a higher-octane cocktail, add an ounce of citrus-flavored vodka to the glass before you add the sparkling water. And you can keep the orange-Campari mixture in the refrigerator for several days if you don't use it all up at your first happy hour.

Cheers!

No comments: