Friday, July 05, 2013

Evernote has changed my life....

That elephant above?  He's my hero....

I have been ripping pages out of cooking magazines for years.  My antiquated storage system involved sorting them into a variety of labeled folders...braised chicken, summer squash, or fancy canapes for example.  Theoretically, it meant I had what I needed at my fingertips.

Two problems though: 1) I haven't sorted in a couple of years meaning there are hundreds of recipes out there in limbo...and they are the more recent ones.  2) There is no way to place a recipe in multiple folders.  Having a recipe in the short ribs folder doesn't help when I specifically want a dish with Asian or Mexican flair.

Never fear, Evernote steps in to save the day.  With the web clipper tool, I can look at a magazine page and search for the recipe online.  Then, all I have to do is click a button on my tool bar and it goes into my Evernote folder. And I can apply multiple tags to it: ingredient, technique, or even possible occasion to use.

If the recipe isn't online, you can scan it in and tag the PDF.  I'm even thinking about creating notes on cookbook recipes.  The note could include tags and then Evernote serves as a master index to the hundred or more cookbooks on the shelf.

The possibilities are endless.  Try it for yourself.  In the meantime, I'm going back to work.  1200 recipes digitized so far...and counting.

No comments: