Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Countdown to Thanksgiving: Jellied Cranberry Sauce with Zinfandel

I am not fond of the canned jellied cranberry sauce that is often served at too many homes with the can creases still visible.  But I must admit I like the flavor and even the texture.  So I was glad to run across this recipe.  Better yet, it includes wine.

(And, by the way, think creatively.  No reason to relegate it to just a turkey sidenote.  It's a great sauce for pork.  And you'll thank me when you have a dab on a blue cheese-topped cracker.)

Jellied Cranberry Sauce with Zinfandel
Makes 3 1/2 cups. (Although the recipe is easily halved if you're not serving an army.)

1 bags fresh cranberries
3 cups sugar
1/2 cup red Zinfandel wine
1/2 cup cranberry juice cocktail
1/2 cup orange juice
(I will confess I didn't have cranberry juice cocktail when testing this recipe, replaced it with more red wine and orange juice and it was quite tasty.)
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary (optional)
Minced zest of one orange (I would consider this ingredient optional as well.)

Boil cranberries, sugar, Zinfandel, juices, rosemary and zest in a saucepan over medium-high heat for 7 minutes.  Remove from heat.

Press mixture through a colander, then through a fine mesh sieve.  (Or through a food mill with the medium blade, then the fine blade.)

Transfer the sauce to the mold(s) of your choice and chill until set.  (Hint: Give yourself enough time.  Mine (in small molds took a couple of days to gel up properly.)

No comments: