Friday, September 19, 2008

Slow Cooker Sausage and Vegetable Risotto

I am a big fan of risotto. But I've never made it. My regular white rice hasn't turned out wonderfully lately for some reason, so the idea of stranding over a pan and stirring for an hour or more is simply not appealing.

So how excited was I to find this recipe? While I have to admit I was skeptical, I had faith in my fave Food & Wine...so I tried it over Hurricane Ike weekend. It was incredible. I don't know that I will ever fix risotto the traditional way.

Slow Cooker Sausage and Vegetable Risotto
From Food & Wine magazine.
Serves six.

4 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
3/4 pound sweet Italian sausages, casings removed
3 tablespoons water
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 small onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 cups arborio rice (14 ounces)
1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 tablespoon kosher salt (Note: I cut this back to 1 teaspoon with wonderful results. The Parmesan adds plenty of salt.)
5 cups baby spinach (5 ounces)
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
Freshly ground pepper

Turn a 6- to 7-quart slow cooker to high.

In a saucepan, bring the broth to a simmer.

In a skillet, cook the sausage with the water over moderately high heat, breaking it up with a spoon until the water has evaporated and the sausage is browned, 10 minutes. Transfer the sausage to the slow cooker.

In the same skillet, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until translucent, 4 minutes. Add the wine and cook, scraping up any browned bits until the wine is reduced by half, 2 minutes. Stir in the rice and cook until all of the wine has been absorbed.

Scrape the rice into the slow cooker. Add the hot broth, zucchini and salt and cover. Cook for 1 hour, stirring once halfway through. The risotto is done when the rice is al dente and most of the liquid has been absorbed. Turn off the slow cooker.

Stir the spinach into the risotto until just wilted. Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and the grated cheese, season with pepper and serve immediately, passing additional cheese at the table.

Food/Wine Pairing: You can go white OR red here. Maybe a fruity Italian white like Masi Masianco. Or a simple European red from Italy or France. This dish will stand up to almost everything.

No comments: