Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Thousand Island Slaw with Chicken

I grew up with Thousand Island dressing. It was my salad topping of choice. And it's still the only thing I'll eat on the chef salad I whip up every now and then. Just the thought of lettuce, hard-boiled egg and turkey makes me reach for the bottle. But I won't be reaching for the bottle anymore. The homemade Thousand Island dressing from this recipe is easy to make and delicious. (Save a little to dip a few boiled shrimp in!)


Thousand Island Slaw with Chicken
From Gourmet magazine.
Serves four.


1 cooked rotisserie chicken
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup grated sweet onion
1/4 cup ketchup
4 teaspoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons sweet relish
1 teaspoon caraway seeds (optional)
1 1/2 pounds coleslaw mix (about 10 cups)


Remove chicken meat from bones and shred or slice.


Stir together mayonnaise, onion, ketchup, vinegar, relish, caraway seeds, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a lrage bowl. Add coleslaw mix and stir to coat.



Traansfer to a serving dish or platter and top with chicken.

No comments: