Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Everything Old is New Again: Vintage Cocktails

It seems as if, just as in fashion, things come in and out of trend in the cocktail world as well. In the last year or so, mixologists have rediscovered old-fashioned cocktails, created boutique mixers, and spirits previously labelled extinct have made a comeback. I've ordered my absinthe through mail-order and will report on it as soon as I receive it. But, in the meantime, here are three products or trends, I'll be looking at in 2008.


Vintage Spirits & Forgotten Cocktails
I first read about this book in Imbibe magazine. Written by Ted Haigh, it combines the best of out-of-print bar manuals into a user-friendly compendium. It clearly is popular right now; Amazon.com lists it as available at around $200 bucks. Hopefully, they'll print another edition; I've got it on my Amazon wish list. In the meantime, may I suggest two other books? Dale Degroff's The Craft of the Cocktail, an artist's approach to bartending. Or equally as wonderful, Gary Regan's The Joy of Mixology and its more "scientific" approach. Each is a wonderful addition to your library and includes many of the classic cocktails now back in vogue.


Boutique Mixers
I'm certainly not opposed to Schweppe's and Canada Dry; I've made many a wonderful gin and tonic water with them. I'm on the hunt, however, for one of these that I've read about in several magazines: Stirrings, Q Tonic and Fever-Tree. I might even take the plunge and try and make my own from a recipe I have stored in one of my many file folders. In the meantime, I'll continue using fresh-squeezed juices in cocktails every time I can. Boutique indeed...


Long-Lost Sprits
I've already mentioned that I've ordered some absinthe now that it's again legal here in the United States. Also on the lookout for Creme de Violette (for a classic Aviation cocktail) and Allspice Dram, a rum-based liqueur made with allspice berries. Obscure spirits like these, once forgotten and impossible to find, are now being made again and easier to find thanks to mail order and a trusty Google search.


What are the classic cocktails you plan to revive in 2008? Comment below and let me know.

No comments: