- Cell phone
- Car manual (Are you SURE you know where that jack is stashed?)
- First-aid kit
- Flash light
- Jumper cables
- Emergency reflective triangles
- Fire extinguisher
BECAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN YOU MIGHT NEED IT:
- Medications (including ones you don't take every day)
- Paper towels
- Toilet tissue
- Wet wipes
TO ENTERTAIN THE KIDDOS (AND YOURSELF):
- Portable DVD player
- Charger for all your phones, players, IPods and tablets
- Portable games (Go old school...remember those little Bingo games with the red plastic sliders?)
TO HELP YOU GET THERE:
- Navigator (But as I have learned when you MOST needs it, you won't have signal, so also bring the....)
- Road atlas
FOR SNACKS (AND THESE ARE NO COOLER REQUIRED):
- Reusable water bottles with water or juice. (Freeze the water bottles half-full to keep them even colder on the journey.)
- Apples and oranges
- Crackers and popcorn in individual containers
- Nuts and dried fruit (How about come old-fashioned GORP?)
- Carrot and celery sticks with squeezable peanut butter
AND TO MAKE YOUR TRIP STRESS-FREE, DOUBLECHECK BEFORE YOU LEAVE THAT:
- The oven if off.
- All doors are locked.
- All windows are closed and locked.
- All kids (and pets) are in the car.